Monday, December 21, 2009

FANTASTIC BIOLOGICAL SOURCE ON THE WEB

PAGE SOURCE: HANDBOOK OF FROGS AND TOADS OF THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA
by Anna Allen Wright and Albert Hazen Wright, Professor of Zoology, Cornell University, 1932

Now maybe everyone knows about this source but me, but I was sure glad to have discovered it today. I was perusing one of my favorite magazines, UTNE, when this article appeared, The Encyclopedia of Life, which was the name of an internet site. Apparently this internet idea was a dream of E. O. Wilson. His idea, in his words were, Imagine an electronic page for each species of organism on earth .

Wilson's dream is now a website called The Encyclopedia of Life which allows all 1.8 million species known on earth their own page!

I turned to my computer and typed in its address and was taken to a registration page. After an easy registration I was able to take a test run of the site. I just took "frogs" as an example to search for and ended up knowing just about all that I could possibly think to ever know about frogs.

The photo at the top is just the tip of the iceberg of the knowledge represented and available on the site. You can open old documents and books and page through them. There is much more but I will let you check it out for yourself if you haven't already.

No comments:

Post a Comment