Sunday, December 6, 2009

BEAR MOUNTAIN WILDLIFE HABITAT

CAPTAIN SAL IS A HAM FOR THE CAMERA -- WILDLIFE HABITAT SIGN
On the two plus acres where I live are scores of nature's treasures. In addition to my homestead, I am partially surrounding by a forest of beech, different types of oak, black ash, persimmon, redbud, maples and other deciduous trees. Also, several species of conifers. It is a steep piece of land that is reached by climbing up a one lane dirt road which dead ends just up from my house. Having lived here for two years, I feel I am just beginning to understand the land.

WEEDS AND WILDFLOWER GUIDES
"weeds are in the eyes of the beholder"
This fall I established my place as a National Wildlife Federation Certified Wildlife Habitat area. I feel I have a commitment to the land, plants and the critters to provide, as much as I am able, an undisturbed place.

BIRDS NESTS, CATERPILLARS AND MOTHS GUIDES
birds' nests book great to use after the leaves have fallen or the field has died back
I am like a child, learning the alphabet, reciting the plants and animals as I learn about them. I have found so many books useful. Several I get out of the library, some I buy at used book stores, and yearly public library sales; many I have owned for several decades dragging them all over the country as I moved around.

ANIMAL TRACKS, INSECTS AND HAWKS GUIDES
Too many good books to list here. However, I will mention a few that are fine guides that I found great for becoming acquainted with mother nature. See list at the bottom of this post. Also there are so many nature blogs with terrific information. Check out the Nature Blog Network for a list plus check out my "good blogs" section on my sidebar.

Become a life long learner about our natural world. Reserve an area for wildness.

DRAGONFLIES, DAMSELFLIES, TREE FINDERS AND NON-FLOWERING PLANTS GUIDES

List of above books below:

1. Hawks; Peterson Field Guides, William S. Clark/Brian K. Wheeler.

2. Insects; Peterson First Guides, Christopher Leahy.

3. Caterpillars; Peterson First Guides, Amy Barlett Wright.

4. A Field Guide to Animal Tracks; Peterson Field Guide, Olaus Murie.

5. Newcomb's Wildflower Guide, Lawrence Newcomb.

6. Weeds; Guardians of the Soil, Joseph A. Cocannouer.

7. Eastern birds' Nests; Peterson field Guides, hal H. Harrison.

8. Discovering Moths; Nighttime Jewels in Your Own Backyard, John Himmelman.

9. Non-Flowering Plants; A Golden Nature Guide.

10. Winter Tree Finder, Mary Theilgaard Watts and Tom Watts.

11. Dragonflies and Damselflies, Steve Gordon and Cary Kerst.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment