Tuesday, September 30, 2014

SEARCHING FOR A DOG


When I am out and about I cannot help but stop and pet a dog -- I've lived with dogs since I was young. I lost my beautiful Golden Retriever, Sal, about six months ago and I still miss him. What a great companion he was. I am waiting until I can find an apartment that will take dogs before I get another one. I find dogs are the greatest companions for retirees. 

I met this young bulldog featured in this blog's photos in Multnomah Village, a neighborhood in Portland, Oregon. This bulldog was a real sport -- friendly and curious. Not that I am particularly considering a bulldog -- its like I mentioned -- I just like to stop and pet dogs. Keeps me in touch with different breeds.


So I am researching and observing what type of dog I should get that is around 40 or so pounds. My Sal was almost 100 pounds --  I realize now that so many pounds would be rather tough for me to handle.  


I am absolutely undecided as to what kind of dog I should get and would welcome any suggestions from you folks out in blogger land. I would like a friendly breed that likes children. Preferably an older dog. Any dog that fits that description from mutt to whatever. I will keep petting and photographing dogs at least until I find the right apartment as dogs add pleasure to my outings.  

9 comments:

  1. A shelter/rescue dog!! They come in all shapes and sizes, ages and temperaments and they all need a loving home. Petfinder.com is a great way to filter your search in your area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought seriously about a shelter dog. I have even scanned through some dogs online that are in shelters. Breaks my heart to see some of the older dogs in want of a home. Apartments in my price range are few and far between. In this area most are all over a thousand monthly.. I have my name on two apartment building's waiting list -- nice neighborhoods, allows dogs but a long waiting list. Are your three dogs all shelter or rescue??? They are adorable dogs. -- thanks -- barbara

      Delete
    2. Laloofah -- Petfinder --. Thanks for the recommendation. Will look through it again when I move into a pet friendly place. thanks very much -- barbara

      Delete
  2. Dear Barbara, Well that is exciting news. I didn't grow up with dogs but my new little town is a dog friendly town so I am meeting all kinds of them. Every year there is a Weinerfest in my town where 300 or more small dogs gather for parades & festivities on the waterfront. I can see where a smaller dog could be a good companion for you. My favorite: the Golden Retriever. Enjoy the search...Maybe there is a dog out there searching for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita -- Your town joins the spirit of many towns in the U.S. I do believe that dogs have become more acceptable to townsfolk. When I lived in Kentucky country there were no laws that said you had to keep your dogs on your property, Of course some roamed creating major problems sometimes. A caring dog owner is a good neighbor. You would have liked my Sal -- he had many friends, -- thanks --barbara

      Delete
  3. Do you lie an active dog like a terrier or a laid-back dog like a Pug?

    If it was me I would look for a shelter dog as well. Wait for the right dog to come to you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ditchingthedog -- I like a more laid back dog like an English lab or a Golden. I am just starting to learn about pugs -- don't know too much about them. Laloofah above suggested Petfinder.com -- looked at their site -- potentially a place to find an older dog. Yes, I imagine that the right dog will come to me eventually. thanks -- barbara

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Birdman -- I heard border collies are really smart -- I think you would like one -- barbara

      Delete