Monday, October 4, 2010

A COUNTRY HOUSE WITH A COUNTRY PORCH GARDEN

COUNTRY HOUSE NESTLED IN THE TREES


I thought you'd enjoy one more garden before the cold temperatures of fall and winter creeps into our world.


Porch gardens are exactly as the words suggest -- plants grown on a porch. Any type of real plants can be part of one. They are usually found on covered open porches either to the front, side or back of the house. Any size will do. Many times furnishings are included such as tables, chairs or porch swings. Other types of paraphernalia are also appropriate. Usually they are densely packed with both the plants and furnishings. 


Creators of such gardens usually give their own artistic bend to the overall look. Informality reins. 

LEFT HAND SIDE OF THE PORCH GARDEN


I found this great porch garden, a few days ago, on highway 52 in Garrard County, Kentucky on a beautiful fall day.


I had driven by it several times admiring the folk artistry surrounding the owner's charming home that nestled under a canopy of mature trees. 


RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THE PORCH GARDEN


The day I stopped to take photos the gardener/owner was not home, only the adult son. He gave me permission to take my photos. 


SITTIN'  SPOT


I thought her blending of  plants with some small chairs, a small table with birdhouses along with the birdhouse porch swing fit the theme. Her theme appeared to be birdhouses, daisies, and frogs. The porch was full of visual treats. The plants were healthy as they waved in the breeze.

SWINGING SPOT

It was evident that the gardener was a good steward of her porch garden.


FROGS HAVING A ROLLICKING GOOD LAUGH


Oh, one more thing, I felt the owner had a good sense of humor. Why? Becuse she had a bunch of frogs near her front porch steps that were looking at me with a smile when I left -- one was even falling over with laughter. 

14 comments:

  1. It will soon be time to bring all my plants from the patio inside. It always feels like a jungle when I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that swing! There's a house not far from us with a picket fence like that -- charming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Willow, I imagine there is a bit of pruning and finding space when one transfers plants inside -- but the wonders of green plants inside for the winter would be well worth the work involved. thanks for the comment. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vicki -- Birdhouses seem to be fascinating for many people. I like them inside as well as outside. Porch swings remind me of my grandfather's 1910ish house in Michigan -- loved his porch swing when I was a child. I am a sucker for appreciating them. Thanks for the comment -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely porch and garden!
    There sits a gal who enjoys all she surveys ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jayne -- yes, I believe you are right -- a woman who knows what she wants -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is interesting to see how people express themselves in their gardens. The swing is a beauty - I imagine it will be passed down through the generations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Barbara,

    I tried to post a comment the other day, but I kept getting that "Service Unavailable" cryptic notice!

    What a delightful refuge! Someone tends plants so lovingly! And no weeding! Yea! Beautiful post! The frogs are hilarious! Made me want to ROTFLOL (roll on the floor and laugh out loud!

    Elora

    ReplyDelete
  9. LiD -- Diversity is what makes gardens interesting to me. The swing is a reflection of the commercial interest in birdhouses. She sure kept the garden healthy and neat as a pin. Thanks for the comment -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elora -- That Service Unavailable notice is Blogger's server stuff. I would suggest that you try and out-trick it by coming at your direction in a different way.-- in a different path is what I mean. Hope I am making myself clear. This works for me all the time.

    The whole cozy environment of this place gave a sense of nurturing and caring.The frogs really did make me smile as I left. -- thanks Elora -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice spot to relax. Those days are done for this year up in the north! Time to return the house plants to their usual spots. Vacation time is over.

    ReplyDelete
  12. barefootheart -- Cooler nights are here but one can still buy tomatoes at the Farmers Market. And corn too. Yet, like your climate, old man winter will soon be here. But -- I'm sure not with the gusto that visits your part of the country! Thanks for stopping by -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoy your blog. In fact, I always want to get in the car and drive over to where you live and share these wonderful observations. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gaea -- My observations are acts of discovery for me. Opening my eyes and becoming focused while asking what is that or what is happening here -- its a process of heightened awareness. I believe every place offers such observations. Thanks for stopping by -- I sure enjoy your blog -- Sage's Play. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete