Monday, June 8, 2015

MY GRANDDAUGHTER AND ME, "BRAGGIN RIGHTS." AND A LETTER


My granddaughter

I very seldom mention my grandchildren. They are all special to me. But I thought since my granddaughter is graduating this week from high school I would share a few things about her. 

So here goes my "braggin rights."She has had a successful tennis career so far. She recently was recruited by an eastern college to play on their college tennis team. Then she was accepted into their business school which is unusual for a student's first year of college where she is attending.

When she was six months old I was living a thousand or so miles from her. I sat down and wrote this letter to her. I knew she couldn't read it then but some day she could. 

I am still many hundreds of miles from her. 

So if you, my granddaughter are reading this post please read on -- it is the letter I wrote to you so long ago.

~ ~ ~
Today, I sit before a computer writing to you my six month old granddaughter wondering about our relationship, how we can connect together, you being so young and I much older with many miles between us. I want to be part of your life yet, for now it is not possible. Your mother and I have always been so close and she is so wonderful that I feel although I am not there with you she has enough of my love locked in her that she can share it with you.

How can we be soul mates? Fifty seven years lie between us. I ponder this dilemma and realize that we have collective philosophies contained within us established by the women in our blood lines that will surface with you in both small and grand ways. This will be our key to being soul mates. 

Perhaps when you make a decision to fight a battle based on intellectualism you will feel your strength arise from your family women source. Perhaps when you stand still on a hill feeling the wind drive hard against your young adult body you will know a sense of peace as family women felt on similar hills in previous generations.

Joy will come easy to you in small ways, laughter will spill out spontaneously, tears will come quickly over animals, small children and lost loves. We are an emotional bunch of women that dive into life with the zest of a marching band. We have gentle spirits and open hearts. So with this legacy you will be one with not only me but your grandmothers and great-grandmothers and back through all your family women of past generations. 

So when you find yourself sitting on that hillside feeling peace -- know that I along with all your family of women have silently gathered in spirit with you to soothe your soul.
~ ~ ~

18 comments:

  1. A beautiful young woman. Strong women engender strong women, on the whole. She will have a wonderful life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne -- Graduation is a big event for young folks. Now they are promoted to real adult-ship even though they really are adults, in most cases, before graduation. My granddaughter is in for a huge new experience on the east coast. thanks for your comment -- barbara

      Delete
  2. Congrats to your granddaughter. Your lovely letter is a wonderful letter to your GD. It says so much in a short letter. You said what was in your heart and it made me very teary eyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady Jane -- I believe that there are very special feelings for granddaughters and of course for grandsons. I feel a great admiration for the grandmothers I knew in my past. -- they were well worth knowing. From them I learned about strength, love, work, and honesty. I think my granddaughter has learned the same values. thanks for your comment -- barbara

      Delete
  3. She's lovely, you are lovely, your letter is lovely, and what a wonderful legacy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita -- Oh you are so kind. I realize that life is beautiful but many times difficult. I am not a pollyanna person. But my granddaughter is truly amazing to me in what she has accomplished.
      Somehow she had the wherewithal to put it all together. I appreciate your words -- barbara

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful grandmother to have written that letter so early in your granddaughter's life...and I know how proud you are of her now. Congrats to you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara -- Isn't it funny how things come together. I was going through some old files last week when I found the letter I had written so long ago to my granddaughter. My thoughts were to post it for her to see when she reads my post. Perhaps you are familiar with this quote that a friend of long ago gave me, "all good things take time." Isn't that the truth. thanks -- barbara

      Delete
  5. That is a beautiful letter, Barbara. I'm sure it's precious to your granddaugther. She's lovely and accomplished and seems to be on track for a statisfying life ahead. She is lucky to have a family of strong and caring women behind her as models and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. June -- Thanks June. My hope for her is that she will perform as well in college as she did in high school. But if she decides to take another path along the way that would be fine as she carries a quiet confidence that works for her. -- barbara

      Delete
  6. Wow, thank you Nana! I do believe that we were able to bond over my lifetime. You have taught me lessons of kindness and compassion for all those that I meet. I truly believe that my transcendentalist beliefs originated in from the books you purchased for me on plant and animal life and the summers spent frolicking in your garden. Your love for nature and the certain spirituality in nature has been passed down to me. Your love for history and finding out how society encompasses the specific morals that seem to be programmed throughout the ages has been passed down to me. Thank you for your love and strength, I love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Whit -- you are a special light in my daily thoughts. Your words above warm my heart. Enjoy your summer preparing for your new life at college. It will be a very busy time for you. Have fun this week with all your uncles. You astound me! Love, Nana.

      Delete
  7. This is quite cool. Amazing that you thought of doing this back then, As they say in tennis, "LOVE".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birdman -- You are very clever -- I never thought about the tennis term LOVE until you mentioned it. But that is what family comes down to -- LOVE -- thanks barbara

      Delete
  8. As a grandfather of five small ones, I admit to getting something wet in the corner of my eyes.
    She has done well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. visualnorway -- five small grandchildren means you will get lots of love in the following years. Grandchildren seem to have a special relationship with their grandparents. Even if they are not near -- reaching out across the miles can mean so much to each of you. thanks -- barbara

      Delete