Saturday, April 4, 2009

WHO'S THAT HAMMERING AT MY - -

Here is the "yellowhammer"

Nesting cavity in my tree -- can you find it?

Whose been hammering at my tree and has put a big hole in it! Probably not the yellow shafted flicker as they have soft beaks and therefore usually just set up housekeeping in deserted cavities. The hammering I hear, I suspect, is territorial drumming. You can see, above in the middle tree and toward the top, the cavity that the flickers are using.

This is the closest I could get to it and still get the angle to show the hole or should I say doorway if I want to be anthropomorphic. I have many different kinds of woodpeckers surrounding my home and woodlands. Lots of drumming and different calls. Great sounds!

Photo at top of ground feeding flicker is from FLICKER Sharing --
BobMacInnes

No comments:

Post a Comment