Wednesday, March 4, 2009

THESE SHOES WERE MADE FOR WALKING

SUFFRAGE MARCH
(Suffrage march, New York City, May 6, 1912 -- Library of Congress Photo)

As I sat at home handling the antique shoes I had recently bought, visions of suffragist marches for the right to vote popped in my head. Why? Because the style of shoes pictured below are the ones that you see in the old vintage photos of such marches.


In the U.S. we celebrate women's history each year in the month of March. Internationally we celebrate on March 8th. Who would have thought? Thought what? That women would have a whole month devoted to their history!

Part of this history is the 19th amendment which gave the right to vote to women and was ratified and certified by August 26, 1920. Not without its struggles.

I came upon my antiques shoes as I was browsing through a store selling collectibles. There on the shelf sat a pair of women's shoes from about 1900. I love old historical items so I picked them up and was soon paying for them at the counter. Something was whispering in my ear to buy them although I really had no idea what I was going to do with them.

Such soft leather and well constructed shoes these were. All they needed was some black shoe polish and a suffragette.
They began to take on a life on their own.I began to think that these shoes were worn in a right to vote march. Why not? Yes, I concluded, they walked in a march (everyone has a right to fantasy).
I glanced down at the Birkenstocks that were on my feet. They are fourteen years old and have seen a few replaced soles. I still "kick" around in them.

Come to think of it, I wore them on election day to vote. Hey, thanks old black shoes for giving me this opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment