Friday, November 1, 2013

A DOG'S TRIP NOTES


Sallie Tomato AKA Sal

Before I start letting you know about our trip that we just took I want to get something straight. My name is Sal or Sallie Tomato, which ever you prefer but I am a male -- all 90 pounds of me. And if you want to tease me about my name I'll meet you outside in about five minutes. I wanted to be named Capone but nobody listened to me. 

But now that we have that settled I want to tell you about my trip that I just took with my lady friend barbara. 

The trip's plan was to pack up our most important belongings and move hundreds of miles across the country in barbara's little Toyota truck. Well the most important thing to me was my roaming territory where I could find all kinds of wild critters and tomatoes (yum fresh out of barbara's garden) and lots of land to just be silly and run my head off. But I had to leave all this behind as barbara said you can't take land in a truck. 

So off we went loaded down and me only having a passenger seat to settle my big ole body into. I really didn't mind it as I got to talk to barbara the whole trip. You know things like -- I have to make a visit to the rest area and quick. But it all worked out.

You see I have a big problem -- I cannot jump into a vehicle. I used to have a ramp to get into the truck but we had to leave that behind in Kentucky. barbara couldn't lift me in so we knew this was going to be an interesting trip. But she came up with a solution.

Solution: Ask folks along the way to lift me up into the passenger seat. I would cooperate by jumping out by myself at each rest stop I just couldn't jump back up (it's a mental hangup with me). Yikes I thought -- what if these folks are not nice people -- they may be bank robbers or something like that -- maybe even dog kidnappers!

But there was no other choice -- barbara had to be bold and ask. She said she would pick only strong looking folks that would have the stamina to lift and not drop me. She was a bit nervous about doing this as she was afraid that people would refuse to lift me. 

Anyway we crossed about ten states stopping at rest stops on average about four times a day for a week. We stopped, asked for a lift and continued on our way.

barbara got into the swing of asking. She told me that the folks she asked were more than willing to lift me. They talked a little about their dog/s and smiled a lot. She told me that I was boring to talk to compared to these friendly folks. But then I would give her a big lick in the face and she would tell me she was just kidding.

After we finally made our 2,500 miles to Washington state I heard barbara telling her friends that she could not believe the wonderful folks that she met along our road-trip. Most of them were long-haul truck drivers that were so very helpful. They came in all sizes, shapes, colors and were from all parts of the country. They didn't show one sign of being put-out about lifting me in the truck. She said it left her with a great feeling about the folks in this country. 

If anyone is reading this blog, that just happens to be one of those kind folks that helped us, I thank you and barbara thanks you too!!!


28 comments:

  1. What a really nice story -- relying on the kindness of strangers! And they almost always are, or so I've found.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I really did have to rely on the kindness of strangers -- many strangers in fact. But they all came through with flying colors. It gave me a real boost about the goodness of humanity. thanks for the comment -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara...it's really nice to hear that people were so helpful. Good story! Thank you for sharing this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. turquoisemoon -- Reinforced my faith in the people of our country -- in turn for their absolute goodness I will surely help folks when I am out and about. thanks -- barbara

      Delete
  4. Sal, if you and Barbara met my nephew, he would have lifted you up in a minute. If it wasn't Tommy, I'm sure it was all his buddies. Glad you had a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne -- Your Tommy must be one of those kind persons I met on the road -- and his buddies must be the same way. Everyone was so gentle lifting me into the passenger seat -- thanks Joanne -- Sal

      Delete
  5. Don't worry about your name, Salvatore. And Sal Paradise is the name of the narrator in, appropriately, the book "On The Road". As I remember he needed a few "pick me ups" along the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John -- you have a great memory of the book, "On the Road." Jack Kerouac was quite the writer in his time. Don't remember the characters as well as ypu -- interesting parallel between Sal Paradise and my dog Sal. Knowing the Beats they probably had many "pick me ups." thanks for stopping with a nice comment -- barbara

      Delete
  6. People are really good and nice once you get to know them and there are lots fewer bad eggs than we think. Your trip sounds phenomenal and congrats on your making it, but having such a sweet and warm friend makes all the difference, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabor -- Sal is a sweet and warm friend. Although I had to to ask folks to help me with him it really turned out to very interesting. It definitely turned my trip into a very warm experience. thanks for the comment Tabor -- barbara

      Delete
  7. Sal - both of you must have the right kind of smile. And people are generally nice when ask to help a fellow being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RuneE -- Personally I thought I would find resistance along the route of trip due to his size. But I even had two women, laughing all the while, pick up Sal and put him in the front seat. It was their idea to do so -- I think because they were dog lovers and they thought it was cool to do for Sal. thanks -- barbara

      Delete
  8. Sal, you tell a very good story. I'm glad there were some nice husky truck drivers around to give you a lift. I'd never be able to lift a 90 pound dog -- although I'd love to be around one as handsome and good natured as you look. I'm sure you were good company for Barbara and even did her a favor by making her talk to those helpful strangers that she never would have met without you. Dogs can be a woman's best friend and I think Barbara knows that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. June -- I know I could not lift Sal, I tried many times after he became my dog. That was when I realized he had to have a ramp. But the ramp was big and I had no room for it on the trip.On the trip, I was so surprised at the folks who responded to my request without hesitation.Not only did I get good humor from the truck drivers I got great directions on how to get through the next big city.. I was exhausted from driving when I arrived in Washington but I really truly learned a lot about human nature on the trip. thanks -- barbara

      Delete
  9. You meet the friendliest people at rest stops, and It seems like I only ever stop there when I'm traveling with my dog. I did the drive up here three times this summer when we were moving, but only once with my dog. I remember driving past rest stops and wishing she were with me so I could stop there which is sort of silly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa --My need for help with Sal made me connect with folks at these rest stops. I was delighted with some of their stories they told me. One muscular man drove up on a Harley fully tattooed -- he told me some great dog stories when he picked Sal up and placed him in the passenger seat -- like Sal was a mere feather. He reminded me of Marlon Brando from his movie The Wild One -- the way he moved and talked. thanks for the comment -- barbara

      Delete
  10. Beautiful little blog entry! What a great dog you have, it's amazing how at any age, if we are open to it, how our animals push us to other levels, I couldn't imagine looking at you or your dog and turning you down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sublime Birdy -- Yes, I read your Buddy story on your blog -- he pushed you into a new level and you handled it so well. I do believe that animals do bring out the best in you if you just let them -- thanks for the nice comment -- barbara

      Delete
  11. That's such a great tale from Sal, spreading helpfulness. Its like a smile they are infectious too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. claggle -- I think dogs overall have great personas and asking for some help was something folks related to very well. thanks for the comment -- barbara

      Delete
  12. Dear Sallie Tomato, I think you are very gorgeous & I like your name. There's somethiing about you & your kin that brings people together, I've noticed that when you all are walking with your people friends. I'm glad for both of you that you encountered kindness &the good folks of America. I loved going along for the ride with you a bit & was reminded of some cross country trips I took in my younger days. So, you all have read Travels With Charley, yes? Thanks for sharing, you all, R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita --- I haven't read Travels With Charley but barbara has. John Steinbeck was in search of America with that book and barbara feels she felt a little bit of it when she took this trip with me. We do like to bond with kin and having others appreciate our worth is really nice. I loved folks on the trip as they always wanted to pet me -- that was so nice. good to get your comment -- Sal

      Delete
  13. PS How old are you, Sal, and did you take your tennis ball with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita -- oh yes by the way -- I will be ten years old in the spring. I came to live with barbara when I was four. And yes I brought several tennis balls and even my grungy old duck that I like to chew on. -- Sal

      Delete
  14. I've just found your delightful blog! Sorry I have missed out on your Kentucky adventures (I'm in AL) but I'm looking forward to reading more about your experiences in the great NorthWest. If you ever get homesick for the South, come and see me sometime at my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starr -- Visited your blog -- very nice! I had a lot of great adventures in Kentucky and am looking forward to having them here in Washington. The Pacific Northwest has a mystic quality about its natural resources. -- thanks -- barbara

      Delete
  15. I would have given you a lift too Sal. I'm sure you were the BEST of company across the many, long miles. I love to travel too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birdman -- Oh you must like dogs. It was a long trip -- but I enjoyed it as people would make such a fuss over me. I loved all the attention. -- thanks -- maybe I will see you along the roadways whenever I take a road trip again -- Sal.

      Delete