Friday, March 18, 2011

TRADITIONAL WAYS -- A VINTAGE GLIDER AND AN ANTIQUE BENCH

What makes vernacular architecture is not an occupant who builds but a cultural congruity among  design, construction, and use
~ ~Henry Glassie

OLD STEEL GLIDER WAITING FOR SPRING
This Sunday is the official day of the beginning of spring which soon brings country folks out on their front porches to sit and enjoy the soft breezes and warm sunshine. Many times they sit on gliders or benches while observing their world. 


Front porch sitting is a favorite pastime of Appalachian country folk. Much of this sitting is done on vernacular porches of old, small one-story houses which are unfortunately slowly disappearing from the landscape. These vintage porches are the roosting spots for old gliders and benches --they speak volumes about the waste not, want not, traditional ways. 


KENTUCKY TYPE OF ANTIQUE SITTING BENCH
This slatted bench is a typical design of central Kentucky. Its sides reflect that it was built when wood-one-board sides were commonplace. Fortunately the owners  have repaired the leg to extend its longevity.

Enfolded in the vernacular craftsmanship ideal -- these pieces have few old porches left where they can be appreciated.  

18 comments:

  1. You know, I worry about what *we* will leave behind. All the *oldies*....well, they just don't make 'em like that any longer. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mimi -- that is a loaded question -- one thing for sure it won't be a healthy environment. Thanks -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charming pictures! We do a good bit of front porch sitting ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vicki -- thanks for the comment. I bet you have one of those old benches on your porch. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy does that bring back memories. I remember as a child sitting in one of those old metal gliders on my grandmother's front porch in rural Florida. It was even more special when grandmother's lap was also there in the glider.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like your benches...Mel's Cabin

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have an old sitting bench, but would love to come across a glider like that! Such a true Kentucky item.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos capturing the gray porch floors as well as the benches. I appreciate both. I can picture folks sitting and talking about their gardens,grandchildren and the simple pleasures of country living.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems too bad that the pace of life has become so hectic, porch-sitting has fallen out of favour. Is watching TV, reading email, playing video games really better than watching the world go by?
    Thanks for the photo memories.
    Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mama-Bug -- What a nice combination -- a grandmother's lap and a glider. Nice memories -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mel -- glad to have you stop by. I wish that I had the white bench on my front porch -- it is so primitive. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  12. Farmchick -- I do like the idea of benches on front porches especially the old ones. The idea is so reflective of the Appalachian area. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  13. Grampy -- your imagination is probably so right. Kentuckians love to talk -- its so enjoyable and friendly. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sheri -- The front porch is still a social place in Kentucky -- usually older folks take advantage of "sitting." -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  15. These pictures remind me of the time I spent sitting on my Grandpa's back porch when I was a little girl, swaying back and forth on his glider as we listened to the Detroit Tigers on the radio. Nice memories!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Darcy -- Gliders seem to have provided a lot of memories to folks. I was a Tiger fan at one time -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have a glider and a swing on our front porch. I don't think a house is a house without a big front porch. I remember sitting on my grandma's front porch in her glider. Her's was covered with quilts and such. A cousin of mine told me that Grandma was so proud when Grandpa built her a house with a front porch on it. (this was in the late 1940s)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Janet -- Oh, porch swings are wonderful. My grandfather had one on his front porch too when I was a small child. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete